Maintain the integrity of the EatSleepRIDE community by flagging an image or post that contains private or offensive content. We monitor all flagging. If enough riders deem a post offensive, it may be removed without notice. Offending members may be banned. Do not flag content without good reason.
The AJS E-95 is a British racing motorcycle in competion from 1945 to 1954. It has a dual overhead cam (DOHC) twin with horizontal cylinders and heads with a 500 cc engine and a top speed of 115 mph (185 km/h).
The AJS E-95 also known as the Porcupine, because of the spiked cooling fins on its cylinder head. It was originally designed to be supercharged, but several racing regulations banned supercharging in 1946. The motor was reworked to allow it to perform without a supercharger. A later version of this motor was named the E95, re-engineered to have its cylinders inclined at 45 degrees for better cooling and easier carburettor installation, and is claimed to have produced 55 hp @ 7600 rpm. The Porcupine has a unique low handmade alloy "pannier" fuel tank that wraps around the motor. The magnesium cambox protrudes out from under the front of the tank, thus capturing the cooling air.
Les Graham and Jock West rode the Porcupine in the 1947 Isle of Man TT, where they experienced several small problems finishing in 9th and 14th place although, he did record the third fastest lap time of the race.In 1947 Ted Frend achieved 1st place at the Hutchinson 100. Leslie Graham did have success riding the bike, to a first place victory in the inaugural 1949 FIM (Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme) 500cc world championship.This was the only World Championship win for AJS. AJS had a number of Grand Prix podium finishes and 18 world speed records. Despite these victories, the bike is often cited as unreliable, and not living up to its promise which leads to its demise in 1954, when the last bike was made.
A complete 1954 AJS E95 Porcupine (1 of 4) was put up for auction in Britain, and it sold for $228,620. A fine example can be seen in person at the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, Alabama.